If you are keen to experience the great outdoors in New Zealand, then it is useful to know about the Great Walks.
These are known as the premier and most popular walking tracks throughout the country and there are currently 9 Great Walks in New Zealand. These are:
- Lake Waikaremoana (North Island)
- Tongariro Circuit (North Island)
- Whanganui Journey (North Island)
- Abel Tasman Coast Track (South Island)
- Heaphy Track (South Island)
- Routeburn Track (South Island)
- Kepler Track (South Island)
- Milford Track (South Island)
- Rakiura Track (Stewart Island)
Some of them such as the Milford Track can be very popular walks and you may have to book your hut space months in advance. Some of the tracks in the lower South Island do close over winter.
They all offer something different, from coastal walks, to volcanic plateau, to waterfalls and lush native forest.
Do your research. The Department of Conservation Website is a fantastic resource for information on all of these walks. Their website also offers alternative walking tracks that are less popular than the Great Walks. So if you can not walk when you were hoping to, there should be a great alternative nearby.