We are only a few months away from winter and with that will come the arrival on snow and kick off of the ski season.
For everything you need to know about skiing in New Zealand, head to www.snow.co.nz.
Two hot spots for skiiing in New Zealand are Ohakune in the North Island and Queenstown in the South Island and each year they hold events to celebrate the winter ski season.
The Ohakune Mardi Gras takes place on the 29th June 2013. It is ‘one huge night of dressed up partying and fun’.
The much bigger Queenstown Winter Festival starts on the 21st June and finishes on the 30th June 2013. Over the 9 days are street parties, fireworks, international and local live acts, ice hockey games, boxing matches and many other mountain acvities.
Other festivals around the country over the winter months include:
- Dunedin: Midwinter Festival – June 22nd 2013
- Wanaka: Burton New Zealand Snowboard Open – TBC July/August 2013
- Wanaka: Winter Games New Zealand – August 15th to 25th 2013
- Nelson Winter Festival – July 6th to 22nd 2013
- Paihia: Russell Birdman Festival – July 19th to 21st 2013
- Wellington Beervana – August 9th and 10th 2013